Between writing about USO supporters and entertainers who were nominated for industry awards this year, to traveling through time for the USO's 74th birthday, to interviewing a mom who's son made the ultimate sacrifice, I've had some really interesting stories to follow over the past few months.
I think one of the most powerful stories I worked on, however, was the story about a recent USO President's Award winner, Shannon Huffman. During her shift at the USO center in Germany, Shannon took a series of actions to save a potentially suicidal service member from taking his life -- something that really resonated with me and shows what the USO is all about.
See, people seem to think the USO is just an organization that provides food and respite to service members around the world, when, in fact, we do so much more. See, the USO is there from the moment a troop enters boot camp to the moment he hangs up his boots. We're there for wounded and recovering soldiers, their caretakers and even veterans looking to land a civilian job. The USO is always by thier side -- and I'm so proud to work for them.
Anyway. Now that you know how much I love working for the USO, here's a full list of what I've been up to:
- ‘I Can See Him Here’: Mother Finds A Moment of Solace Through Visit to USO After Son’s Death
- USO Entertainers Shine at Academy Awards
- ‘He Came to Us’: USO Staffer in Germany Takes Action to Save the Life of Despondent Soldier
- Celebrate Valentine’s Day With These Five Huggable USO Moments
- USO Tour Veterans and Supporters Have a Big Night at the Grammys
- Photos Through the Decades: Celebrating the USO’s 74th Birthday
- USO Tour Veterans Katy Perry and Idina Menzel Set To Take the Stage at Super Bowl XLIX
- Bringing the Big Game to the Troops: USO Centers Around the World Prep for Super Bowl XLIX Festivities
- USO Veterans Rake in the Awards Nominations and Wins
- Jiffy Lube Franchises Join Forces to Raise over $19,000 for USO Delaware
- USO2GO Kits Lift the Spirits of Troops in Liberia