Monday, May 11, 2015

Behind the Scenes of My Spright [solidcore] Story and Shoot

Guys. GUYS. GUYS! New story and photos alert!

Last Friday, when I was stuck at home battling the worst sinus infection of the century (boo!), my fun little piece about DC's [solidcore] -- and its fab CEO/founder Anne Mahlum --  went live on Spright, and I couldn't be happier with the result.


See, I've been wanting to do a story about [solidcore] since the days of Fiterazzi.


Back when I lived near Union Station, I would always walk by the [solidcore] studio near Mass Ave, and would see people popping in and out of the studio drenched in sweat and smiles, and wondered what the workout was all about.


What was that weird machine they used?

Why did everyone say this was the hardest workout ever?

And what was with all the brackets in the branding materials and signage?!?

After a little bit of Googling, and reading about Anne's professional and fitness journey, I knew that the [solidcore] story, and Anne's story, was something that needed to be shared with the larger Spright community.


After getting the go-ahead from my awesome Spright editor, I reached out to the [solidcore] team, set up a time to talk to Anne, take photos of the Cathedral Commons studio and learn about how [solidcore] came to be. I even got to take a class and try out [solidcore] for myself (sidenote, I'm hooked!).


I won't spoil too much of my Spright story here (you should really go read it!), but I thought I would post a little teaser of the piece to spark your interest:

Anne Mahlum knows how to command a room.

As she walks up and down the blue-light-lined walls of a [solidcore] studio near the National Cathedral in Washington, DC, counting down the final few seconds of Thursday’s 6:30 p.m. session with Diplo’s “Express Yourself” blaring through the air, it’s clear to see that the [solidcore] founder and CEO is comfortable with being in charge.

An entrepreneur and athlete at heart, Anne has spent the greater part of the past decade spearheading different ventures with an athletic twist.

Back in 2007, before starting [solidcore], Anne built her leadership and entrepreneurial skills by founding the non-profit organization Back on My Feet, which uses the sport of running to empower homeless people to make lasting changes in their lives.

After five years of working as Back on My Feet’s CEO and helping the organization expand to 11 U.S. cities, the North Dakota native decided, in 2013, to bring a different vision to life and launched [solidcore].

No comments:

Post a Comment