Wednesday, May 6, 2015

The Learning Curve: Taking Pictures of Babies Is Hard!

If there's one thing I've learned from my recent slew of family and portrait sessions is that taking posed pictures of babies (not candid, candid is easy!) is a lot harder than it looks.

While adults understand when to look at the camera, when to smile and how to take directions, little babies -- as adorable as they are -- require a bit more attention.

Plus, sometimes, matter what you do, you just might not have what it takes to make the little one smile, which is hard to accept as a perfectionist-type photographer.

Maybe it's because I don't have kids of my own yet, or maybe it's because I just don't photograph babies enough, but at times I find taking photos of babies age two and under harder than covering even the busiest of events!

All that being said, I did have a really awesome experience capturing photos of the Maki family, who has a little one, at the Rosedale Conservancy in Washington, DC a few weeks ago.

Not only was their family so wonderful to work with, but their little one was absolutely adorable!


While I definately think that these photos aren't award winning family pictures, you know, they aren't bad by any means and there are some cute ones in the mix.


Maybe I'm too hard on myself... or not hard enough.


All I can say is that I'm still getting better, and I'm lucky to have had the opportunity to practice taking pictures of little cuties!

No comments:

Post a Comment