Tuesday, October 27, 2015

October = Craziness & 550 Cord Bracelet Stories for the USO

The past two weeks of my life have been a total blur. Between crunching out papers for grad school (which don't get me wrong, I love, but it's so much work!), finding time to push out freelance stories for Spright and doing my actual regular job at the USO, I've barely had a moment to get my bearings.

HA! Barely. Bearings. Bears. Sometimes I make myself laugh.

I think one of the coolest projects I've been up to in USO land has been my 550 cord bracelet story that published with the launch of the brand new USO website last week. (Side note: The new website looks awesome, you should totally go check it out!)

For those who don't know, 550 cord bracelets are simple woven bracelets made from paracord, also known as 550 cord. These bracelets are made with roughly ten feet of cord and can be unwoven and used in survival situations, which makes them pretty popular in the military community. Over the past few years, USO centers overseas have started to offer 550 cord making workshops so troops can make bracelets for themselves and their family and friends back home.

Over the years, the bracelets have come to symbolize a special military connection the wearer has with a service member -- pretty cool, huh? To get a bit more info about 550 cord bracelets and their associated traditions, you should check out my story here.


Oh! And if you want to learn how to make your own 550 cord bracelet, you should watch the video above I made for the USO below and read this special tutorial.

Happy crafting!

No comments:

Post a Comment